Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Good Ingredients = Good Food!


Good Ingredients will result in Good Food!
This is a lesson that unfortunately many people seem to forget when making Gluten-Free food. Meaning that if you make a loaf of bread out of Rice flour or Garbanzo Bean flour, then the bread will not only taste like rice flour or garbanzo bean flour, but it will take on their textures as well. The use of Rice flour will give you a gritty or sandy texture as a result, and if you use Bean flour your baked goods will usually have a mealy texture. For these reasons as well as the fact that Rice triggers my Celiac disease; I use (for the most part) just four GF Flours in the majority of my recipes. These flours are:

Gluten-Free Oat Flour
Gluten-Free Potato Starch (not potato flour!)
Gluten-Free Tapioca Starch
Gluten-Free Corn Flour

Other Gluten-Free Flours that I use on occasion include:
GF Sorghum Flour, Masa Flour, Corn Starch, and GF rolled or quick cooking Oats.

The GF Binders that I use are:  Xanthan Gum and Guar Gum

Now if for some reason you cannot tolerate the flours I have listed above, you can usually find a substitute flour listed in parenthesis next to that ingredient in the recipe. However I must warn you that many of my recipes do use dairy and/or eggs. Unfortunately since the aim of my recipes is to make foods taste as though they are not gluten-free, ingredients like eggs and dairy are often necessary. If you cannot eat either of those ingredients then I all that I can suggest is that you can try making the recipes with dairy and/or egg substitutes and see how they turn out. If you ever have a question about an ingredient or a recipe you can always contact me and I will do my best to help you. Good Luck and Happy Baking!




No comments:

Post a Comment